If you’d met me 3 years ago, you’d probably be FLOORED by the amount of meat I now consume.
Starting around the age of 12, I dabbled with vegetarianism, finally committing to it in college before going full blown vegan. At the time, it made sense. I needed a way to lose weight easily, keep my skin clear and keep grocery bills low.
Thanks to my (ex)fiance and our reliance on discounted frozen dinners for much of our college experience, my vegan conversion acted much like a long overdue cleanse. It was kind of a pain because it meant that neither of us were eating the same thing anymore, resulting in a LOT of extra cooking for me… something I didn’t really have time for thanks to rehearsals, and working, and homework.
Then I was introduced to the wonders of the crock pot and my life changed. I made soups for me, shredded meat for him, and all was right in the world!
You know, until the whole messy break-up thing where I stopped eating healthy and got real fat….
BUT I DIGRESS.
Since my return to meat, the boyfriend and I eat pretty much the same thing, which makes planning meals a LOT easier. But with my personal training taking off, in addition to Fleet Feet coaching, our dinner schedule has gotten a little wonky… and slightly repetitive. There’s only so many things you can cook up quickly before they all start to taste the same!
Enter: crock pot chili.
I’ve made a WIDE VARIETY of chilis in my life, including Skinny Bitch in the Kitch‘s version, which is honestly still my favorite.
The boy does not approve of beans in his chili, however, and would probably laugh in my face if I tried to serve him a bowl that showed any chunks of vegetable. So a big bowl of meat and tomato sauce, huh babe?
In an effort to make a more well-rounded, nutritious chili in a short amount of time, I concocted this gem. I used a lot of spices, but honestly, you could just throw in whatever you have in your cupboard. So if you know you’ll have a late night, but can spare extra 20 minutes in the morning, this is a great recipe to whip out. Enjoy!
EASY SLOW COOKER CHILI
- 1 lb. ground meat of choice (we used turkey; I prefer beef or buffalo I think)
- 1 serrano pepper, seeds removed
- 1 habanero pepper, seeds removed
- 2 bell peppers (I used an orange and yellow), seeds removed
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1/2 large sweet onion
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/4 c. chili powder
- roughly a palmful each of: salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, black pepper
- enough stock to submerge your final mixture
- Dump your meat into the slow cooker turned on HIGH while you prep.
- Add all spices (including minced garlic) on top of the meat (pictured)
- Blend peppers and onion in a blender until the large chunks are gone.
- Break up your meat and pour on veggie puree and diced tomatoes. Mash together until roughly combined.
- Pour on enough stock to cover your meat mixture. Switch heat to LOW and let cook until you’re ready to eat.
- Garnish with cheese, sour cream, cilantro, etc. if desired.